HOW TO KNOW GOD’S WILL FOR OUR LIFE
BY: TROY NICHOLS
NOVEMBER 6, 2003
5 CLUES TO THE WILL OF GOD FOR YOUR LIFE
This teaching will not only serve to help you in your calling and destiny in life, but it will also serve to recognize the will of God in those around you. With that said, let us receive knowledge in this area with understanding.
Ps 139:13-18 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
- Another translation of verse 16 reads, “You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your book!”
- I think it imperative to point out from the above scriptures how God views you. In seeing this, you can then lay aside all your insecurities for you will see that you are the apple of Gods eye according to Zechariah 2:8 where it reads, “and whoever touches you, touches the apple of God’s eye. Another translation reads, “For he who harms you sticks his fingers in Jehovah’s eye.”
- Any person, by looking into the eye of another, will see his own image perfectly expressed, though in extreme miniature, in the pupil. Thus, this expression means that the eye of God is always upon His follower, and the follower is ever impressed on the eye of God?
- When you and I were born, we were born if you will with a book inside of us. In this book, we can discover Gods will for our life. It can be called our Genetic code or our DNA, which is simply a nucleic acid that carries genetic information in the cell. With this said, let us move on and look at 5 clues that will help you identify the will of God in your life.
- One of the major clues to the will of God that is in your book is your desires (hopes or dreams).
- One English rendering of desire is a fervent (passionate) wish for what promises gratification. Take a moment and reflect on what are some of the hopes, dreams or desires that have been burning in your heart for most of your life.
- Psalms 37:4 says, “Delight (to be pliable, easily bent or shaped, receptive to change, easily persuaded) thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.” One that has a heart after God will not pursue a desire in which they cannot form into a prayer to God. Simply being, when you have a heart after God, your desires will line up with his desires that he has already put in your book (heart) and it is these desires that he wills to give thee.
- Prov 13:12 says, “Hope (expectation) deferred (delayed) maketh the heart sick: but when the desire (longing of ones heart) cometh, it is a tree of life.” Another translation reads, “Unrelenting disappointment leaves you heartsick, but a sudden good break can turn life around.”
- Our country is full of people that are pursuing everything but their desires that God has placed within them. Instead of living the lives that God designed for them to live, some are doing what their parents want them to do; some are doing what they went to school to learn to do and the list goes on and on.
- When a person can’t do that which is burning within them to do, they will become sick in their heart. They will be unhappy in that they are not finding fulfillment in that which is currently taking the place of their desire and dream within them.
- One English rendering of passion is a calling or mission pursued for personal satisfaction.
- Take a moment and ask yourself these questions. What is it that brings excitement into your life? What is it that makes you want to get up early in the morning and stay up late? What is it that lights your fire? What is it that brings a sparkle in your eyes when people talk about it?
- Jesus had a passion for holiness in the House of God. We can see this passion in John 2:13-17 where it reads, “And the Jews’ Passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers’ money, and overthrew the tables; And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise. And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal (passion) of thine house hath eaten me up.”
- Your passion will demand attention. It’s like a magnet in that it will draw people into your life. Have you ever woke up in the middle of the night and turn on TV and came across a cooking show? The chef was very passionate about his cooking wasn’t he? I wonder how many get excited and run to the kitchen and try to cook like the chef did and end up with a mess. My point being, it looked easy to the one watching. The truth being, it was easy for the one that had the passion for doing it. However, if cooking isn’t your passion, it will not be as easy as it looked.
- When you do what God made you to do, you become a blessing and people are drawn to you versus being out of the will of God and witnessing people being pushed out of your life due to you not having anything to offer them.
- You can take a hound dog and pen them up and they will lie around and look lazy. However, if you take that hound dog hunting, you don’t have to say, “Come on Fido, this is what you were made to do.” You don’t have to tell Fido to bark, it just comes natural.
- When you are doing what Gods will is for your life, there is an energy, zeal and passion that drives you.
3) Where are you bearing fruit? (What are you doing that works?)
- John 15:8 says, “Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.” Another translation says, “My true disciples produce bountiful harvests. This brings great glory to my Father.”
- Matt 7:17-20 says, “Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. The truth here is that we are all bringing forth some kind of fruit in that which we are currently doing. The question remains, what kind of fruit?
- A tree is known by its fruit. Where (area, position, calling, etc) are you doing something and seeing results? What are you producing? What kind of results are you getting?
- If you are doing something and not seeing any positive results for the Kingdom of God, it is time to consider moving to something else or making a change.
- Many sincere people miss it when they get caught up in doing what they think is Gods will for their life. And now, after months and even years, there is no evidence or increase to prove that it is Gods will. And beloved, hear me, doing it a little bit longer will not make any difference. Simply being, if you have been at something for a long time and you are no good at it or not productive in it, do yourself a favor and ask the Lord to show you your purpose and help you to fulfill it.
- Sad to say, most people are not willing to make changes in their lives to pursue the will of God. For these that are not willing to make such changes, I submit the following in Luke 13:6-9; “He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.”
- There are some things that we have been doing that we believe God told us to do. Many are in places (relationships, jobs, churches) where they believe God told them to be. However, many of these folks are living in misery due to not seeing any results or fruit in these places they thought God led them into.
- In the light of this text, I would say to those that are not bearing any fruit to take a step and dung yourself (fertilize, get some counseling), pray over it, while making up your mind that you are not going to live the rest of your life living with no fruit in your lives and ministries. However, I am persuaded that while some of you may need a little time to dung yourself, there are others that know right now to let go of some things they have been doing for a long time without any results.
- As Pastor of this church, I am going to have to apply these truths and principles and see what’s working and what isn’t working. And no doubt, there will be some things are going to have to be CUT OFF!
- What are you trading your life for? Are you being a blessing to others? Are you adding quality of lives to others? Are you producing? Are you extending Gods Kingdom to others? Are you helping or serving anybody? If you are honest, I am sure that you would say that there are some things that need to be cut off for they are not producing for your family, church, job, relationships, etc.
4) What comes natural (somewhat easy) to you?
- When you do the will of God, it comes easy and time usually flies by. When you are out of the will of God, things seem to be harder on you and you wish the days would end so you could get some rest.
- For example; if you have a child making D and F’s in Biology, that is a pretty good sign that they won’t be a doctor when they grow up, no matter how much you want them to be a doctor. But if in music they are making straight A’s, that would be a good sign that music plays a role in their purpose in this life.
- Some people are born counselors. They do it many times without knowing it. Some are born teachers, carpenters, mechanics, ect. Some are good with mathematics, which is vital when it comes to finances in the home, job, church, etc.
- Dogs don’t try and bark. They just bark! It is just natural for them.
5) What has Kingdom fingerprints on it?
- Rom 14:17 says, “For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.” Luke 17:20-21 says, “And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.” Because the Kingdom of God is within us, there are things that go on in our lives as believers that will have Kingdom fingerprints on them and as we seek first His Kingdom, these things will be made manifest.
There are 3 Kingdom fingerprints in the light of Ro 14:17 that if applied will help us identify Gods will in our lives as well as those around us.
- The will of God no matter who you are is to do what is right. God will not lead you to do nothing wrong. Don’t thank him for getting a big tax refund if you doctored your books by cheating or lying. You know that wasn’t right. Ask yourself a question. Is what I am doing moral? Is what I am doing right? Is what I am doing pleasing in the sight of God?
- While God does speak in an audible voice, he speaks in other ways such as through his word, through your circumstances, through a person, but also through peace.
- When you follow peace, you want mess up. I am reminded of Isa 55:11-12 which reads, “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.”
- Many sincere people miss it when they override peace in their hearts by letting someone convince them to do things their way and thereby let that one overpower the peace of God in their hearts
- Col 3:14-15 says, “And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.” Heb 12:14 says, “Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord.” Rom 12:18 says, “If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men (including yourself).”
- That fact that it says, “If it be possible” lets us see that there will be those that you will not be able to live with. In fact there are some that are having a hard time living with themselves due to their minds being in total chaos and confusion.
- You are not to do anything in the name of God that violates the peace of God in your hearts.
- One English rendering of peace is to umpire, which is a person who is appointed to RULE on plays. Just as the umpire gives final decisions in the baseball game, the peace of God gives the final decision in our hearts.
- When you ask; “what am I going to do” or “where am I going to go”, you have to let peace umpire in your situation no matter how much outside pressure you are getting from those that may even seem to be Godly. You must follow peace!
- As you walk with God, you will come across people who will endeavor to manipulate (man – nips), control you and they will do it in the name of God. They will say things like, “The Lord told me, the Lord showed me and because so many are so uneducated in the word of God, they believe the one talking to them simply because they said the Lord told them (instead of knowing how to discern who’s hearing from the Lord). Simply being, just because someone said the Lord said, doesn’t mean that the Lord said.
- Church splits happen because church folks aren’t trained to know who is after the flesh and who is after God. I am persuaded that if I teach those in leadership as well as the saints to follow after peace, we can eliminate church splits.
- Now we have to be taught how to discern who is hearing from the Lord. We can glean some understanding in this area in James 3:13-18 which reads, “Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.”
- Devilish wisdom may sound good and may sound right – but it is devilish! How do we discern the difference? The one that wants peace and doesn’t want to hurt anybody is the one that is hearing from God. The one that comes in and dominates, controls and says, “Here is what God told me” is operating in devilish wisdom.
- Follow them that make for peace. The one that wants to be patient is the one that is hearing from God. Isa 40:31 says, “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” The phrase, “wait on Yahweh” means to wait for his help, that is, to trust in him, to put our hope or confidence in him.
- The one that is full of envy, strife, contention and jealousy is not hearing from God if what they are doing is causing division and strife.
- I have had people try to pressure me into making decisions that sounded good, sounded right and even sounded Godly, but I didn’t have peace within and therefore I chose not to make the decisions at that point.
- If anyone tries to force you into making a decision, you would be wise to say, “I will not make any decision under pressure.” It doesn’t matter if they turn blue in the face, get mad at you, leave the building, etc. Let them know that the umpire (Peace of God – Prince of Peace) is right and his call holds. Though what they want you to do may be right, you must have peace as to the timing of it.
- When you do what God has called you to do, there is joy unspeakable that comes forth in your life. We can see this in Jesus ministry in Heb 12:2 which reads, “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
- We have been taught by tradition that we were the joy that was set before Jesus. While they may be an element of truth in that statement, that is not the joy that is referred to here in Heb 12:2. The joy that was set before him was fulfilling the will of his father as can be seen in Ps 40:6-8 where it reads, “Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required. Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.”
- Joy will affect your marriage, how you raise your children, your friendships, how you pastor your church and the list goes on and on. When you don’t follow after the will of God, you will not have that joy and now you will find the joy is no longer in your marriage, your joy is no longer there for your children, your friendships suffer as people don’t like to hang around people that are oppressive, your leadership suffers as you see your position as a job now and not a ministry.
- Sad to say, there are many living frustrated lives today because they are not seeking the Kingdom of God and his will for their lives.
- In Gods will, there is peace and joy! Out of Gods will, there is war and frustration.
HOW TO KNOW GOD’S WILL FOR YOUR LIFE [Troy Nichols] 1